Although offices are not always thought of as hazardous places to work, an injury or illness that happens in an office can be just as serious and costly as that which occurs in any other workplace.
This course provides a practical introduction to office health and safety for managers, supervisors and employees, including health and safety committee members. It describes how to develop a health and safety program and introduces potential hazards in an office environment. The material includes steps that can be taken to address important office health and safety concerns, to prevent injuries and illnesses. Learning is reinforced through quizzes, case studies and an exam. Links to more detailed information in CCOHS’ OSH Answers collection are provided.
- How to develop a health and safety program
- Potential hazards in an office environment
- Workplace Stress
- Indoor Air Quality
- General Safety
- Slips, Trips and Falls
- Safe Lifting
- Safe Storage of Office Materials
- Hazardous Equipment
- Chemical Hazards
- Electrical Hazards
- Fire Prevention and Evacuation
Upon completion of this course you will:
- Identify key components of a health and safety program;
- Recognize the elements of an ergonomically correct workstation;
- Recognize and control for the potential health effects of poor lighting;
- Recognize causes of, and control workplace stress;
- Identify factors that affect indoor air quality
- Recognize ways to reduce or eliminate general safety hazards (e.g. slips, trips and falls) and electrical hazards;
- Identify chemical hazards in an office;
- Identify procedures to follow in case of a fire.
Average time to complete this course is approximately 50-60 minutes.
- Office managers, supervisors, and employees
- Health and safety committee members
- Human Resources (HR) professionals
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet – and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.