National Construction Safety Awareness
Construction can be a dangerous industry to work in! You work with tools, equipment and vehicles that require special training and consideration, and you work in environments that call for tradespeople to be constantly aware of the potential hazards to your health and safety. This Construction Safety Awareness course was developed by the construction industry as a national course to give you an overview and encourage a general awareness of the health and safety issues you’ll be faced with on any worksite in Canada.
Click here to download the fact sheet for this course.
PLEASE NOTE: This BuildForce Canada course was developed based on current industry information, practices and legal requirements up to March 2011. BuildForce Canada assumes no responsibility or liability arising from subsequent changes in legislation, regulation or prevailing industry practice that may render elements of the course obsolete. Furthermore, all BuildForce Canada courses are intended to facilitate online independent learning. BuildForce Canada cannot and does not assume responsibility for certifying the qualifications of a learner or any skills obtained as a result of completing this course.
After successfully completing this 6 hour course you will be able to:
- Define the key rights and responsibilities that you, your co-workers and your employer has on any worksite.
- Identify the communications that must take place on any job site to ensure safe work practices.
- Determine the measures you need to take off the job site to make sure you’re ready for work on the job site.
- Select the Personal Protective Equipment you’ll be using on the job site, and how to use it effectively.
- Determine the precautions you need to take when working with workplace chemicals, including understanding WHMIS and MSDS.
- Recognize the types of hazards you may encounter on a jobsite, and how to recognize, assess and control them.
- Identify the tools, equipment and vehicles you’ll be using on site and how to use them safely.
- Determine the precautions to take when working at heights, excavating and trenching, and working near powerlines.