Wildlife and Bear Awareness (Suncor approved)
Validity of certifications
- 3-year expiry
- 100% attendance, and minimum 80% mark for written knowledge evaluation, and successful accomplishment of practical component
- Minimum 6, Maximum 18
- 4 hours in-class training
- Practical components – use of inert bear spray by participants
The wilderness in Canada is an integral part of being Canadian. Whether in our past-times like fishing, hiking, and hunting; scientific research and pharmaceuticals, or the billions of dollars it brings in annually through tourism, Canada’s wildlife helps us identify with who we are.
However, as we constantly expand our reach across the country, we find ourselves encroaching on wildlife and encountering situations that were very rare only a few decades ago. While we sometimes find ourselves stumbling upon a wild animal’s home territory, we just as often find animals exploring our territory in search of food.
Wildlife Awareness course aims to teach us how to respect wildlife, reduce encounters that could lead to its destruction, and if all else fails, to deal with an encounter to protect yourself or those around you.
- The importance of the wilderness to Canadians and Canada
- The hierarchy of controls to prevent or deal with wildlife encounters
- Information about bear ecology and behavior
- How to identify bears, their signs, and prevent encounters
- The difference between defensive, non-defensive, and predatory encounters
- How to use bear spray safely
- Information on Cougars, wolves, coyotes, foxes, and moose; and how to deal with possible encounters
Competency operators training – inquire
- Student Book
- Wildlife and Bear Awareness certificate on accomplishment of the course